Sore throat is the state of inflammation and pain in the throat. Inflammation can be of the pharynx, larynx or the tonsils. Swelling of tonsils is called tonsillitis. This infection can be caused by a virus or bacteria. Sore throat can also be a symptom of another illness. Home Remedies for Hiccups It is common and can affect men, women and even children.
Viral throat infection is usually an airborne infection. It is spread by coughing, sneezing or unhygienic habits. It is contagious. Bacterial infection is caused by the bacteria called Streptococcus. Therefore this condition is also called strep throat. It makes the throat red and inflamed. Bad breath occurs in some patients with a strep throat.
Sore throat can be a result of flu or cold. Other factors which contribute to the pain and swelling are smoking, allergy to pets or pollens, dry air, talking or shouting for long. Pollution can also cause soreness. Weather can also trigger this condition in many people. This kind of infection is not contagious.
The symptoms are swelling in throat, tender and red throat, bad breath, pain, headache, swollen glands in neck, irritation, difficulty in swallowing and pain while speaking.
If the cause is a viral infection, antibiotics usually do not work. The condition eases on its own in a week to ten days time. If it is bacterial, antibiotics are prescribed. Various syrups like suppressants and decongestants are also available. Home remedies for sore throat are effective and do not have any side effects. Some of the home remedies are given here.
1. Gargles: Gargle regularly with salt water. This helps reduce inflammation and gives a soothing feeling.
2. Honey: Take one spoon of honey daily.
3. Ginger: Include ginger in your diet. Ginger can be taken with honey too. Mix little ginger juice and honey and take this regularly. Ginger can also be added to tea for relief in sore throat.
4. Garlic: Include garlic in your diet for quick relief.
5. Lemon: Consuming lemon juice in water daily is beneficial in this condition.
6. Cinnamon: Cinnamon powder can be mixed with honey and taken.
7. Holy basil: Boil the basil leaves in water and drink that water. Basil leaves may be added while making tea also.
8. Echinacea: This helps in boosting the immunity system thus preventing sore throat.
9. Turmeric: Due to its anti inflammatory properties, turmeric is very effective. Add turmeric powder to hot milk and drink it.
10. Sage: Add boiling water to sage leaves and keep for a while. Strain and gargle with this water.
11. Licorice: Licorice also known as ‘Mulethi’ in India possess soothing and anti inflammatory properties.